Sep 27, 2010

Still Life Vases

 
Spring in Australia brings an abundance of our floral emblem, the Golden Wattle. My grade threes attempted still life drawing for the first time with jars of wattle cut from trees around the school. We used lead pencils and green and brown textas to draw the jars, stems and leaves onto white card. They then dabbed on yellow tempera paint with a small brush to try to create the fluffy texture of the flower. When complete, we carefully cut out the drawings and glued a heavy cardboard stand to the back to make our vases stand atop the bookcases.

This project was inspired by the similar drawings of mimosa at Manuales.

 

7 comments:

  1. What a cool drawing lesson. I wish we had these fluffy flowers! I love how creatively these are displayed too! Along with the possums! Makes me think about how we can get our stuff "off the wall"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I never thought of making vases stand up rather than in a flat painting. We paint lilacs in the spring and this would work great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :) Do it! The advantage to NOT having wattle is that so many people are allergic to it :) Lilacs would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,
    I know your post is many years old, but if you remember the method you used for making the paper stand, I would love to hear about it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. We cut an appropriately sized strip of cardboard and folded it into a triangle before gluing to the back of each piece.

      Delete
    2. I would love a tutorial on how to make the cardboard stands or at least some photos! Thank you!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...