Oct 9, 2011

Clay Fossils

I have made fossils with grade ones before as part of a dinosaur themed unit. I do like the ones I had done previously with objects cast in plaster (see them HERE) However, they were quite tricky. Then I saw this simple but effective fossil idea from Gail at That Artist Woman. I had the students create a small flat disc from terracotta clay (like a biscuit or a cookie). We used plastic dinosaurs as well as plastic trees to make imprints in clay. After firing I had each child add a small amount of white paint using a sponge roller, just to bring out the texture details a little more.
The kids enjoyed pretending these were biscuits or cookies.


Plastic dinos? CHECK. How cool is my job?


5 comments:

  1. A great solution! These seem easy to do and look really super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing! Love the white paint on the clay...really emphasises the imprints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great!! I love the idea of a dinosaur fossil. I use paper lay to make doll faces but never thought of doing anything else with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! My name is Oksana. I am developer of the children's game about dinosaurs.
    I really liked your lesson "Clay Fossils". I made a blog post about your lesson and provide a link to your article.
    if you're interested you can be viewed here - http://bit.ly/1EbP5e4
    thank you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...