Dec 28, 2011

Giraffe Portraits

 
A group of grade ones did these giraffes with me a few weeks back as part of their study of African animals. This lesson seems to be a popular one, based on the art work of U.S painter Jennifer Mercede. I have seen similar lessons at a few blogs including BlueMoon Palette, again the wonderful Georgetown Elementary Art Blog and MaryMaking (where I also go the idea for the borders). I had the children follow a simple step-by-step drawing process, similar to the cows I did with students of the same age. We used oil pastels and tempera paints to add colour and then printed a simple border using found objects like pieces of cardboard and blocks etc.

6 comments:

  1. Nice, Anne. Enjoy the switch-up of media and the border printing. My kiddos LOVE printmaking. Thx. for the shout-out too, you awesome lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    My name is Heather and I work for Worth Ave. Group. We’re currently holding a contest for K-12 teachers to win grants for their schools, and iPads or iPods for their classrooms. If you’re interested in participating, feel free to email me or visit the link I’ve posted below.
    Have a great day!
    http://www.worthavegroup.com/giveaway/
    voteforteachers@worthavegroup.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather
      That'd be great but I'm not an American teacher I'm Australian! :)

      Delete
  3. Anne! Your blog and the art featured on it are NEW favorites for me and once I pass the link on to my fellow art teachers and our students I'm certain they will love your projects as well! I just read through the entire blog and made notes and anything I posted elsewhere has been linked back to your blog here! Your students obviously love what you are teaching them and from what I can tell you love what you are doing!

    Garsy - Fort Wayne Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Garsy,

      That makes me happy! Thanks also for linking back and happy reading :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...