Oct 15, 2012

Clay Chinese Dragons

These dragons were made by my Grade 5 students earlier this year for Year of The Dragon. After some research, we discovered that Chinese dragons are traditionally portrayed as a creature with a snake-like body, the head of a camel, ears of a cow, eyes of a bull, horns of a stag, scales of a fish and claws of an eagle.

These individual characteristics really helped the students to create their dragons one feature at a time. After firing, the dragons were painted and some students chose to add glitter or googly eyes.
  
  
  

 

4 comments:

  1. Very cool!! My kids LOVE dragons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! My students are all working on an East Asian unit right now. My 4th graders are making Asian dragons out of coils and my 2nd graders are drawing them. Did you find the stories about the number of toes/claws? 5 in China, 4 in Korea, 3 in Japan, and they all claim that they originated in their country and grew or lost toes as they traveled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog on Pinterest, and it's just wonderful! Love the projects you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a grat blog! I love it!

    I'm your newest follower and an artdy mom too! I can't wait to come back & visit your blog more. I also nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. Hop over to my blog to check it out.
    http://thetravelingclassroom.blogspot.com/

    May you be blessed today in all you do!
    Dinah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...