Jun 7, 2014

Lava Lamps

I loved this project I did a while back with my grade 2s. This idea came from Pinterest but unfortunately the link is broken, so if this is originally your brilliant idea, please let me know so I can credit you!
Found on Pinterest
It's a really clever idea because it teaches many different concepts, uses a variety of media and looks effective.

As with the original poster, I used this project to reinforce the difference between geometric and organic shape. The lamp is created by drawing a large triangle, then cutting two smaller triangles and a tiny rectangle from black paper and gluing to form the rest of the lamp. Several small organic shapes were drawn and painted inside the lamp for the lava and again in the background to create the psychedelic light effects. 

The shapes in the background were repeatedly traced in coloured textas (markers) until the shapes filled the entire background. A piece of black string or yarn was also added as a cord for the lamp. You could also use this project to teach complementary colours and quality of line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...