Dec 4, 2011

Magic Carpets

My grade 3 and 4 students have been creating magic carpets based on Persian rugs this term. This is one of those projects which took a lot longer than I thought it would. I just saw this great project at Georgetown Elementary Art Blog and I now wish we'd done something more simple like their magic carpets. 

Ours were done in a similar way to the mandalas I've done before, in that we started with half the design and traced it to get a symmetrical second half. Once the design was all traced out I had the students outline and then colour their work before finishing it off with a paper fringe glued to each end. It took them many weeks to complete this process and although they look quite nice I think we were all sick of them by completion!




8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I love all the different designs and colors.I've been thinking about doing some Magic Carpets as well. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just lovely! I am going to pin this lesson, for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are FAB, Anne! Thanks for the GT blog creds! I like the mandala tie-in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne
    I was just browsing on Pinterest and saw a comment you left on Kathy Barbro's board about how to get a page translated to English through Google search. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I didn't know how to do that and I follow a couple of blogs that are in different languages that I don't know how to read. You have opened doors for me -- wanted you to know I appreciate it:)
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all - No problem Christie, glad I was useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! I love Persian rugs!! Can you explain a bit how you made the paper fringe- it looks so meticulous and perfect! Very effective for the rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious-- I just finished magic carpets with Grade 1 and they were pretty sick of them by the end as well. Love the lesson and idea and the fringe, I think next time we may just do "mini magic carpets." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, theirs may have been simpler, but yours are gorgeous! I love them! There must be a way to make them easier and still look great. The symmetry, the fringe, the colors, I'd hate to see you lose any of that. Don't give up on this one!

    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...